Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Settling In

Chicago is finally lurching drunkenly into spring.  I hope.  This evening I went on a great bike ride with the Oak Park Cycle Club.  Only a few days ago I walked Leo in my winter coat, but tonight I was in shirtsleeves.   And I admit, our walks have shown me more and more signs of the year turning – more green, plants coming up, even a few flowers in bloom, finally, this week. 

This weird year not withstanding, I was generally enthusiastically into spring by this time during the years I lived in Maryland.  I’ve always said spring would be the one time I really missed the mid-Atlantic.  By the end of the 1st week of March there were almost always some blooms out – crocus, forsythia, redbud.  My daily walks became treasure hunts.  It was wonderful.

But then I abandoned Maryland and came to the frigid Midwest.  Why?  I wanted to start anew, but could have gone anywhere.  I chose Chicago because of my [then] infant nephew and because some instinct told me this place would offer me everything I needed to call it home.  On both counts, I have not been disappointed.

My first months, here-and-not-here, were difficult, to say the least.  Working far too many hours, camping at my brother’s, trying to manage and sell a home from 700 miles away.  I had few bright spots except the satisfaction of working directly with some wonderful Chicago families in one of my roles, and the precious hours with little Sam and his older half-sister.  I didn’t feel I had time to find and create a community of my own, either personally or professionally.

In the months since my employer and I went our separate ways, that has been remedied.  My instincts were right about Chicago: I feel more settled personally here than I ever have, anywhere I have lived.  That’s not to say I regret any of my other sojourns, but I’m here to stay.  The communities I’ve joined – especially UTUUC, the Cycle Club,  and Sing to Live Community Chorus – are home for me now. 

Professionally, I have been welcomed by fellow geeks in a big way.  There’s just a difference in the way people behave when they gather here, a sense of community that I never saw in my old professional landscape.  I really like the way organizations make it a point to meet both in the Loop and in the suburbs – as if to say, all of ChicagoLand is valuable.  I have not seen much “us vs them”, and I like that much better.  (That said, I am personally much happier in the Loop and would rather take the L there than drive to a suburban location.  But that’s just me.)  I like the many folks who freely share experience and information.  That wasn’t nonexistent in the mid-Atlantic, but it was far more rare than it is here.  Between the community and the BVA (see my last post), I feel almost settled here professionally, as well.  Just one rather important component of that to go. 

The warming weather has made me cheat some and get out for solo afternoon bike rides.  It feels good to be on my ancient cycle again, and sometimes the job search gets kind of old.  I love meeting and talking with people, but I could do without the rest of the drill.  I sure hope I meet and talk with someone who says “we’ve been looking for you” very soon.   I won’t even complain when my rides are confined to evenings and weekends. 

On to April. 

No comments:

Post a Comment