Sunday, February 23, 2014

Happy Birthday, Mr. Handel





George Frederick Handel was born on this date (more or less – it was pre-conversion to the Gregorian Calendar in most of Protestant Europe) in 1685.  Famous for his Oratorio Messiah and his Water Music, he in fact composed hundreds of works in a wide variety of genres over his 74 year lifetime.  He lived in Germany, Italy, and England and traveled extensively.  He was revered by later famous composers – notably Mozart and Beethoven and is generally considered one of the greatest composers of the Baroque era.

Prior to 3½  years ago, though, I would not have placed Handel in my top 5 even if asked to confine consideration to the Baroque.  I revere Bach and his mathematical precision, love the passion of Vivaldi and the brilliance of Purcell, and think Scarlatti’s sonatas are fun.  My long-ago pretense at being an organist included Buxtehude and Telemann.  Oh, I loved singing the Messiah and enjoyed hearing Music for the Royal Fireworks and had a passing acquaintance with parts of a few other oratorios.  But somehow Handel escaped my getting to know him well.

Then Mr. Handel’s legacy and my life crossed paths unexpectedly, in the guise of the Handel Week Festival (www.handelweek.com).  The festival, directed by Dr. Dennis Northway, was planning to present Handel’s oratorio Israel & Egypt. It requires a good-sized double chorus, and Dr. Northway was looking for an additional mezzo soprano.  I am grateful to Dr. Wilbert Watkins for the introduction.  The rehearsals and performance of Israel & Egypt, coupled with Dr. Northway’s enthusiastic, entertaining and enlightening stories about Mr. Handel and the work, opened my eyes to a whole new world. 

I have had the amazing fortune to remain with the Handel Week chorus since then.  I continue to learn about the man and his music and to learn to be a better singer and musician. I’ve made terrific friends in that chorus, even as I remain astonished that I am allowed to sing with musicians of this caliber.  And now I count Dennis as a friend as well as a teacher.

This season the Handel Week Chorus prepared two concerts.  Last Sunday we presented the famous Messiah as is traditional every 5 years of the Festival's lifeDr. Northway chose Mozart’s 1789 orchestration of the work this time.  In addition to discovering there was much I still could learn about such a familiar piece, the orchestra accompaniment was refreshing and occasionally hilarious. You can feel the movement toward the Classical Period.  You can also catch Mr. Mozart’s sense of humor.  My new favorite aria is in Part III, just before the end: “If God be for us, Who can be Against us?”, for Soprano – and bassoon. 

Next Sunday, March 2, we will present a concert titled The Celebratory Handel. It includes two Coronation Anthems (including Zadoc the Priest, which is still performed at every British Coronation), Music for the Royal Fireworks, and The Te Deum for the Peace of Dettingden.  The choral music was all new to me.  The joy of the journey continues.  Happy Birthday, Mr. Handel – I am very selfishly glad you existed and were such a musical genius.  I am one of millions, perhaps, whose lives you have enhanced in unexpected ways

No comments:

Post a Comment